Casselman Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Bylaw

In Casselman, the municipal bylaw 2016-077 regulates open-air fires and the use of outdoor fireplaces and cooking devices such as barbecues. The bylaw aims at preventing accidental fires within the Municipality boundaries.

The following information is a summary of the Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Bylaw. For precise wording and all provisions, please refer to the official document Bylaw 2016-077.

Key points

Outdoor Fireplaces

The use of outdoor fireplaces is permitted in these conditions:
  • The fireplace must be CSA approved and in good condition.
  • The fireplace must be located at least 3 metres (9’ 10”) from any structure and property lines.
  • The fireplace must be located on a non-combustible surface.
  • Wood burning fireplaces must be entirely covered with wire mesh with grid openings no larger than ½ inch.
Outdoor fireplaces may not be used when weather conditions cause smoke to bother the neighbor.


  • Barbecues may not be used on a balcony 8 feet above ground level.
  • Barbecues must be located at least 3 metres (9’ 10”) from any structure and property lines.

Open fires and campfires

Open fires are not allowed in the Municipality of Casselman. Fires that are not contained within a purpose-built outdoor fireplace are considered open fires, for example:
  • Campfires
  • Burning of grass, branches or garbage
Exemption for special events

Community organizations may set campfires during special events if they apply for and receive an Open air fire permit.

Enforcement and Penalties

  • If you allow an open-air fire or do not respect the conditions of your special event permit, the Fire Department may extinguish the fire, at your expense.
  • You may also receive a fine as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act.

File a Complaint or Report a Violation

To register a complaint with the Municipality about a perceived infraction, you must fill out a complaint form.

To report a situation during regular business hours, please contact the bylaw officer at 613-764-3139, extension 241.