Billing of Water and Sewer Services

In Ontario, municipal water and sewer services must be self-financing. Water and Sewer Tax Revenues must recover the costs of water treatment, distribution to homes and businesses, and wastewater treatment.

Invoice Payment Options

You have several options to choose from to pay your water and sewer bill. For more information, please visit Payment Options.

Understanding Your Water and Sewer Bill

Your water and sewer invoice includes the following items:

  • Water treatment and distribution fee
  • Water usage
  • Wastewater management (sewer construction and maintenance)
  • Wastewater charge based on volume
If your property is not connected to the sewer system, you are not billed for this service.

Billing Periods and Rates

Billing Periods


Billing Date

Due Date

January 1st to March 31st

First week of April

Last week of April

April 1st to June 30th

First week of July

Last week of July

July 1st to September 30th

First week of October

Last week of October

October 1st to December 31st

First week of January

Last week of January

Applicable Rates as of January 1st 2023


Monthly Rate

For 3 months

Water Charges (treatment and distribution)



Water Usage (minimum 10m3 per month)



Wastewater Charges (network maintenance)



Wastewater Usage (minimum 10m3 per month)






Additional Fees


Water - for each additional cubin metre


Wastewater - for each additional cubic metre


Water Meters

The Municipality of Casselman uses water meters to track usage and invoice residents based on their consumption. The wastewater volume is based on the drinking water consumption. The unit of measurement is the cubic meter, which equals 1,000 liters.

Reading of Water Meters

We read meters four times a year: in March, June, September and December. The difference between two readings gives the water usage.

If the attendant can’t read your meter due to inaccessibility or equipment failure, he will leave a door hanger asking you to book an appointment for a reading.

How to Read My Water Meter?

Read the six numbers on your meter from left to right, like a car odometer. Water meters are usually located in the basement of a house. Call us if you are unable to locate your meter; we may have the information on file.

Accuracy of Water Meters

Residential water meters record consumption accurately. However, if you think the meter does not read accurately, you may request to have it tested. If the test demonstrates that the meter works properly, you will be charged $100.00 for the test. If the meter is defective, we will repair or replace it at no cost to you. The Municipality of Casselman may correct any billing errors, at any time.

Sudden Increase in Usage and Fees

Here is list of possible explanations for a sudden increase in your water bill.

  • The installation of new appliances such as water-cooled air conditioner or dishwasher; new hot water tank, heating system, pool, lawn sprinkler system, etc.
  • Leaks or plumbing problems:
    • Your meter has a red or black trickle indicator that looks like a small propeller.
    • To check for leaks, turn off all taps and appliances that use water.
    • Then check to see if the indicator is moving, turning or shaking.
    • If there is movement, it indicates that water is flowing through the system and that there is a leak somewhere.
    • The homeowner is responsible for all interior plumbing maintenance and repairs.
  • Running toilet
    • To verify if a toilet is leaking, lift the water tank lid and pour brewed coffee, tea or food colouring into it. Do not flush. Wait 20 minutes.
    • If colour appears in the toilet bowl, the rod-and-ball assembly or flapper needs adjustment or replacement.
  • Catch-up bill
    • If a meter reading was missed, the next reading will show the usage for two billing periods. Therefore, your invoice will be higher than usual, even though there was no increase in water consumption.
  • Higher seasonal demand
    • Lawn and garden watering in the summer months


To ensure that the water and sewer usage are billed to the right customer, there must be a meter reading when a change of ownership or tenant occurs.

If you are moving out, please send us a written notification 30 days in advance and give us your new mailing address. We will take a meter reading and send you a final bill. You are responsible for water usage up to the final meter reading.

If you are moving in, please contact us to open an account.

For more information on billing, please call 613-764-3139, extension 201.